US forces attacked leaders of an al-Qaeda-linked group in Syria on Saturday, the Pentagon said.
The strike north of Idlib targeted leaders of the group the Pentagon calls al-Qaeda in Syria (AQ-S) whom it blamed for “attacks threatening US citizens, our partners and innocent civilians,” Lieutenant Colonel Earl Brown, a spokesman for the US Central Command said in a statement.
The spokesman added: “Northwest Syria remains a safe haven where AQ-S leaders actively coordinate terrorist activities throughout the region and in the West. With our allies and partners, we will continue to target violent extremists to prevent them from using Syria as a safe haven.”
The statement did not say what kind of weapons were used.
Earlier on Saturday, a war monitor group said that a missile attack on a gathering of al-Qaeda-linked extremist group in Syria’s Idlib province killed at least 40 militants, hours after a Russian-backed ceasefire took hold.
US blames Russia, Damascus after strikes in Syria’s IdlibWashington on Thursday accused Russia and the Syrian government of being responsible for “escalating violence” in Idlib province. Russian ... Middle East
Erdogan says won’t allow US to delay Syria ‘safe zone’President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed Turkey would not allow the US to delay the establishment of a “safe zone” in northern Syria, in ... Middle East
US-led coalition says it targeted al-Qaeda in northwest SyriaThe US-led coalition said Monday its jets carried out strikes in northwest Syria a day earlier that a monitor reported had killed eight extremists, ... World News