Turkey’s week-old offensive against Kurdish-controlled areas of northeastern Syria has displaced more than 300,000 people, a war monitor said Thursday.
“More than 300,000 civilians have been displaced since the start of the offensive,” Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said.
The Turkish operation comes after US President Donald Trump announced the withdrawal of US forces from northeastern Syria, which is currently administered by the Kurdish-led Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria (NES), often referred to as Rojava.
Trump’s move was seen by critics as an abandonment of Kurdish forces which had been the key ally in the fight against ISIS.
Egypt welcomes US sanctions on TurkeyEgypt welcomed on Thursday US President Donald Trump’s “preliminary sanctions” on Turkey, following Ankara’s ongoing military ... Middle East
Mnuchin: More US sanctions on Turkey to come if no ceasefire in SyriaThe United States is prepared to ratchet up economic pressure on Ankara if Turkish forces do not agree to cease their offensive in northern Syria, US ... Middle East
Turkey says it is preparing retaliatory sanctions against USTurkey’s foreign ministry is preparing retaliatory sanctions against the United States after US President Donald Trump imposed sanctions on ... Middle East
Trump downplays Turkey’s assault in Syria, touts sanctions over fightingUS President Donald Trump on Wednesday played down the crisis in Syria touched off by Turkey’s military operation against US-allied Kurdish ... Middle East