Egypt’s foreign ministry calls for avoiding further escalation after US strike
Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday it was following developments in Iraq with great concern and appealed against any further escalation.
The statement came after a US air strike that killed the commander of Iran’s elite Quds Force, Qassem Soleimani.
“The Foreign Ministry is following with great concern accelerating developments in Iraq, which augur an escalation it is important to avoid,” the statement said.
“For this reason, Egypt calls for containing the situation and avoiding any escalation.”
- Lebanon condemns Soleimani killing, hopes for no repercussions
- Pompeo says US committed to de-escalation after killing Soleimani
- Killing of militia commander Mohandes a clear breach of US troop mandate: Iraqi military
- EU chief Michel urges end to Iraq’s ‘cycle of violence’
- Avenging Soleimani responsibility of ‘resistance’ worldwide: Hezbollah