The United States said Friday it is sending nearly 3,000 more army troops to the Mideast in the volatile aftermath of the killing of an Iranian general in a strike ordered by US President Donald Trump.
Defense officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a decision not yet announced by the Pentagon, said the troops are from the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
They are in addition to about 700 soldiers from the 82nd Airborne who deployed to Kuwait earlier this week after the storming of the US Embassy compound in Baghdad by Iran-backed militiamen and their supporters.
The reinforcements took shape as Trump gave his first comments on the strike, declaring that he ordered the killing of Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani because he was “plotting to kill” many Americans.
“He should have been taken out many years ago,” he added.
The strike marked a major escalation in the conflict between Washington and Iran, as Iran vowed “harsh retaliation” for the killing of the senior military leader.
The United States urged its citizens to leave Iraq “immediately” as fears mounted that the strike and any retaliation by Iran could ignite a conflict that engulfs the region.
Iran says US accountable for consequences of Soleimani’s killingIran’s top security body said on Friday the United States would be held accountable for killing Iranian Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani, ... Middle East
Israel defends US killing of Iranian commander, puts military on alertIsrael’s prime minister defended a US decision to launch an airstrike on Friday that killed Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani and the Israeli ... Middle East
Lebanon condemns Soleimani killing, hopes for no repercussionsLebanon’s foreign ministry on Friday called for the country and wider region to be spared any repercussions from the US air strike that killed ... Middle East