Iran is reporting two more deaths from the new virus that emerged in China and says the fatalities were from among 13 new confirmed cases of the virus in Iran.
The report on Friday by the semiofficial Mehr news agency came as Iranians voted in nationwide parliamentary elections. After authorities reported two earlier deaths this week, the death toll from COVID-19, the illness caused by virus, stands at four.
So far, 18 cases have been confirmed in Iran, including the four who died.
The spokesman of the health ministry, Kianoush Jahanpour, said the newly detected cases are all linked with city of Qom where the first two elderly patients died on Wednesday.
Jahanpour said the new cases were either from Qom or had visited the city recently. He said four of them are hospitalized in the capital, Tehran, and two in northern province of Gilan.
Concerns over the spread of the virus, which originated in central China, prompted authorities in Iran to close all schools and Shiite seminaries in Qom.
Italian national tests positive for Coronavirus in ItalyAn Italian national has tested positive for the new coronavirus, a statement of the Lombardy region said early on Friday morning. The ... World News
Kuwait ports authority suspends travel to and from Iran amid coronavirus fearsKuwait's ports authority suspended the movement of people to and from Iran until further notice because of concerns about the coronavirus outbreak in ... Gulf
China’s coronavirus-hit Hubei province confirms 115 more deathsThe death toll in China from the coronavirus epidemic rose to 2,233 on Friday after 115 more people died in Hubei province, the hard-hit epicenter of ... World News
Kuwait Airways suspends all flights to Iran due to coronavirus fearsKuwait Airways said it has decided to suspend all flights to Iran on Thursday until another notice amid fears from a coronavirus outbreak, according ... Technology