Russia’s Defense Ministry on Friday said reports that hundreds of thousands of Syrians were fleeing Idlib in the direction of Turkey were false, after a UN report said that the Russian-backed Syrian regime offensive displaced 900,000 people since December.
The defense ministry also urged Ankara to allow Idlib residents to enter other parts of Syria.
The ministry issued its comments in a statement, saying it had been using drones and other resources to monitor the situation in Idlib.
It also said that Turkey had brought large amounts of military hardware and ammunition into Idlib in recent weeks.
The Russian offensive that began in late 2019 has caused the largest single displacement of people since the conflict began in 2011.
Ongoing clashes in Syria’s Idlib province leave 27 fighters dead: War monitorClashes pitting Turkish forces and their Syrian opposition allies against pro-regime forces left 27 fighters dead Thursday including two Turkish ... Middle East
Turkey, Russia, Iran will meet to discuss Syria’s Idlib: Turkish officialTurkey, Russia, and Iran will meet in Tehran next month to discuss Syria’s Idlib and a Russian delegation may come to Ankara before that, ... Middle East
Civilians flee homes, safe zone shrinks as Syrian regime bombards IdlibThousands of Syrians are fleeing to an ever-shrinking safe zone in Idlib province as the regime steps up its bombardment of the last opposition-held ... Features
Turkish military operation in Syria’s Idlib ‘a matter of time’: ErdoganA Turkish military operation in Syria’s Idlib province is only “a matter of time,” said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, ... Middle East