Israel on Saturday refused to allow some 200 non-Israelis to disembark from a plane which arrived from South Korea, as part of measures against the new coronavirus, the health ministry said.
It said the plane was made to return to South Korea, after the 12 Israeli passengers on board were taken away in ambulances waiting at Tel Aviv to be quarantined.
A day after confirming its first case of the COVID-19 virus, Israel on Saturday banned all flights from both South Korea and Japan.
A cut in air links with China has been in force since January, and Israel has also refused entry to people who have recently visited or are resident in Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore or Thailand.
Israel confirmed its first case of the virus in one of its nationals who had earlier this week flown home from Japan after being quarantined on the stricken cruise ship Diamond Princess.
Nine South Korean tourists who stayed in Israel last week were diagnosed with COVID-19 on their return home last week, Israel’s health ministry said on Saturday, but it was unclear where they contracted the virus.
The ministry listed the sites they had visited on its website and asked Israelis who may have come into contact with them to self-quarantine and contact health services.
Since it emerged in December, the new coronavirus has killed 2,345 people in China, the epicenter of the epidemic, and 17 elsewhere in the world.
South Korea city deserted after coronavirus ‘super-spreads’ at churchThe streets of South Korea’s fourth-largest city were abandoned on Thursday, with residents holed up indoors after dozens of people caught the ... World News
WHO working with South Korea on ‘cluster’ of coronavirus casesThe World Health Organization (WHO) is in close touch with South Korea regarding a “cluster” of coronavirus cases around the central city ... World News
Iran confirms sixth person dies of coronavirusAuthorities in Iran have reported a new death from the novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of deaths in the Islamic republic to six and ... Middle East
Iranian man, wife are the latest confirmed cases of coronavirus in UAEThe UAE announced two new confirmed cases of coronavirus on Saturday, according to the ministry of health.An Iranian tourist, 70, and his wife, 64, ... Gulf