Iran announced Saturday that 139 more people had died from the novel coronavirus, raising the official death toll to 2,517 in one of the world’s worst-affected countries.
Health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour told a news conference that 3,076 more cases had been confirmed in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of infections to 35,408.
For more coronavirus news, visit our dedicated page.
“The condition of 3,026 of those hospitalised is critical in one way or another,” he said, adding that 11,679 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital.
Jahanpour said that 57 million Iranians had been screened for the virus.
He said the data received had been “significant” and had helped with early detection and intervention.
Iran has imposed strict new containment measures, after weeks of public appeals largely failed to deter hundreds of thousands taking to the roads to visit family for the Persian New Year holidays.
They include a ban on intercity travel by road with offeners via roads and fining and impounding violators’ cars.
The restrictions, which will remain in force at least until April 8, include a ban on all intercity travel by road.
Pentagon orders preparations to ‘destroy’ pro-Iran Kata’ib Hezbollah in Iraq: ReportThe US Department of Defense has ordered its military commanders in Iraq to prepare for potential operations to destroy the pro-Iranian Kata’ib ... Middle East
Coronavirus: Iran president credits foreign ministry for campaign to lift sanctionsIranian President Hassan Rouhani praised Wednesday a campaign calling for US sanctions against the Islamic Republic to be lifted amid the coronavirus ... Middle East
Iran campaign for sanctions relief seeks to cover up negligence over coronavirusIran has been mounting a full-court press in recent weeks over the need for sanctions relief. This global campaign has consisted of the Ministry of ... Middle East