Dozens of workers at a petrochemical center in southwest Iran were taken to the hospital on Saturday following a chlorine gas leak, according to state media.
The chlorine gas leak occurred at the Karun petrochemical center in the city of Mahshahr in the oil-rich province of Khuzestan, the official IRNA news agency reported.
The chlorine leak sickened 70 workers, according to IRNA.
A video received by Al Arabiya showed workers receiving treatment at a hospital. The workers are heard and seen coughing in the video. Coughing and shortness of breath are some of the symptoms of exposure to chlorine.
Another video received by Al Arabiya captured the chlorine gas leak. The video showed a yellow gas in the air at the petrochemical center. Chlorine gas appears to be yellow-green in color.
Earlier on Saturday, a power plant in the city of Ahwaz, the capital of Khuzestan, caught fire when a transformer exploded, IRNA said.
Iran has had dozens of mysterious fires and explosions across the country in recent weeks.
On Thursday, Iran’s nuclear body said an accident had taken place at a construction site at the Natanz nuclear facility without causing casualties.
On Tuesday, an explosion at a medical clinic north of the capital Tehran claimed the lives of 19 people and injured over a dozen others.
On June 25, another explosion took place close to a sensitive military site near Tehran which a defense ministry spokesman told state TV was caused by a tank leak at a gas storage facility.
Iran’s Rouhani launches strict new measures to try to curb coronavirusIranians who do not wear masks will be denied state services and workplaces that fail to comply with health protocols will be shut for a week, ... Coronavirus
Power plant catches fire in Iran’s Ahwaz after transformer explodesA power plant in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahwaz caught fire on Saturday following an explosion, the official IRNA news agency reported.The ... Middle East