Tehran does not face any operational limits for its nuclear program since reducing its commitments to the JCPOA nuclear deal, said Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi as quoted by Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency.
Iran began withdrawing from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal after the US Trump administration withdrew from the deal in 2018.
Since then, Iran has ignored limitations on the number of uranium enrichment centrifuge machines as it takes its fifth and final step back from the deal, reported Tasnim.
“Thereafter, Iran’s nuclear program does not face any operational restrictions, and the nuclear program moves forward by the Atomic Energy Organization (of Iran) according to the technical needs,” Mousavi was quoted as saying.
The announcement comes after reports of an explosion at the Natanz nuclear facility in Iran.
UN report on Iran
Last month, a UN report concluded that the Iranian transfer of Iranian arms to Yemen may be “inconsistent” with UN resolution 2231, the resolution that endorsed the JCPOA.
While Iran has already violated several elements of the JCPOA following the US withdrawal from the deal, experts said that this UN report will weaken Iran’s overall case as a credible partner.
“Fundamentally, I think the issue is above all bad PR for the Islamic Republic,” said Alex Vatanka, senior fellow and director of the Iran program at the Middle East Institute in Washington, DC.
ICYMI: A new #UN report endorses long-standing claims that weapons “of Iranian origin” were used in several attacks against #SaudiArabia last year and have been exported to the Houthis in #Yemen.https://t.co/qkbwt21qt5 pic.twitter.com/Pzljh7Gn45— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) July 2, 2020