US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo offered condolences to those affected by the Beirut explosions that killed more than 50 people and wounded thousands of others on Tuesday.
"We are monitoring and stand ready to assist the people of Lebanon as they recover from this horrible tragedy," he tweeted.
I’d like to extend my deepest condolences to all those affected by the massive explosion at the port of Beirut on August 4. We are monitoring and stand ready to assist the people of Lebanon as they recover from this horrible tragedy.— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) August 4, 2020
A statement from Pompeo's office said that the US Embassy in Beirut reported the extensive damage to "a city and a people that I hold dear, an additional challenge in a time of already deep crisis." Pompeo said the US would look forward to the outcome of the Lebanese government's investigations.
Earlier in the day, a White House spokesperson said that the US was "closely" following the developments in Lebanon and that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the situation.
Praying for the safety of the people of Lebanon. The President has been briefed. We continue to monitor the situation closely.— Alyssa Farah (@Alyssafarah) August 4, 2020
For full story, click here.