Lebanon’s cabinet on Wednesday agreed to place all Beirut port officials who have overseen storage and security since 2014 under house arrest, ministerial sources said.
It was not clear how many officials would be included or their seniority level.
The army will oversee the house arrest until responsibility is determined for a huge explosion at the port that occurred on Tuesday, the sources said.
The cabinet also announced a two-week state of emergency in Beirut.
President Michel Aoun said 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilisers and bombs, had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures, after it was seized.
He said in a national address the government was “determined to investigate and expose what happened as soon as possible, to hold the responsible and the negligent accountable.”
An official source familiar with preliminary investigations blamed the incident on “inaction and negligence”, saying “nothing was done” by committees and judges involved in the matter to order the removal of hazardous material.
Beirut blast: Lebanese banks to give 0 pct loans to damaged businesses, homes: ReportLebanon’s central bank will approve a stimulus package aimed at recovering from the massive damage caused by the explosion in Beirut’s port on Tuesday ... Economy
Lebanon’s Tripoli to serve as chief port following Beirut blast: MinisterThe northern city of Tripoli in Lebanon will serve as the country’s alternative port following the explosion at Beirut’s port on Tuesday, according to ... Middle East
Watch: Hezbollah chief explains explosion scenario similar to Beirut blastLebanese Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah explained in a 2016 speech a “nuclear explosion” that could come detonate in Israel, using a ... Features