A renewable two-week state of emergency has been declared in Lebanon’s capital Beirut following the deadly explosions at the city’s port, authorities confirm.
At least 70 people were killed Tuesday and more than 3,000 wounded in multiple explosions that rocked Downtown Beirut, Lebanon's health minister said. US President Donald Trump said he had reason to believe that the blasts were an attack.
Buildings several kilometers away suffered material damage, the explosions were heard over 20 kilometers away from Beirut and residents in Cyprus said they felt the blasts.
Watch: “I don’t want to give a specific number, but I will tell you that we have more than our capacity and there are many dead,” says a spokesperson for a hospital in #Beirut following the explosions that killed at least 73 people so far.#Lebanonhttps://t.co/IB8kyus4cq pic.twitter.com/lXQbCANGTg— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) August 4, 2020