As exhausted rescuers combed wreckage to find anyone still alive from the Beirut blast, three disconsolate families camped outside the port where their loved ones were last located.
Elias Marouni sat in a chair describing his George, a 30-year-old army officer who worked at the shattered facility and was just meters away from the epicenter of the explosion that killed 154 people and injured 5,000.
“We would like to go inside the port to look for my son but we can’t get permission,” he said after waiting for three days. “No one is helping us, only God can.”
Beirut explosion: Trump, Macron discuss sending immediate aid to Lebanese people
Hours earlier, rescue workers drove past him transporting three dead bodies.
Lebanese authorities said 2,750 tons of highly explosive ammonium nitrate, used in fertilizers and bombs, had been stored for six years without safety measures at the port warehouse.
It blew up on Tuesday, sending a mushroom cloud and fireball into the sky and smashing a swathe of the Mediterranean city.
Mohammed Zahid has also been waiting since the blast outside an entrance to the port, along with a dozen others. He sleeps on a sidewalk in the hope his brother Amin, a security guard, somehow survived, or at least his body can be found.
“We went to a hospital to give our DNA to match it with relatives. Nobody got back to us,” he said, close to a sign with directions to different sections of the port that hung sideways from the force of the blast.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
President Michel Aoun said the investigation would examine whether it was caused by a bomb or other external forces.
But the homeless and bereaved were not concerned with causes. Families outside the port just prayed they could see their loved ones again.
“We wait day-by-day, hour-by-hour. We don’t want the state’s help because we won’t get it. We just want to go in there and look for ourselves,” said Gharib Hatoun, whose cousin Imad went missing shortly after the blast.
Beirut explosion: Hezbollah ‘categorically denies’ storing arms at blast siteHezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah strongly denied on Friday claims that his Iran-backed Shia group had stored arms at the Port of Beirut, the site of ... Middle East
Beirut explosion: Lebanese-Americans hold vigil in San Francisco for blast victimsLebanese-Americans held a candlelight vigil on Thursday in San Francisco, California, for victims of the Beirut explosion that killed 154 people and ... World News
Beirut explosion: US pledges over $17 mln in disaster aid for LebanonThe United States has pledged over $17 million in initial disaster aid for Lebanon, following Tuesday's Beirut port explosion, the US embassy said on ... Middle East
Beirut explosion: Nearly 60,000 sign petition to place Lebanon under French controlNearly 60,000 people have signed a petition calling for Lebanon to once again be placed under French mandate following the Beirut port explosion that ... Middle East
Beirut explosion: Saudi Arabia opens air bridge to Lebanon, first two aid planes sentSaudi Arabia has sent its first two planes to Beirut as part of its air bridge initiative carrying more than 120 tons of supplies to provide ... Gulf
World Food Programme will send wheat imports to Beirut after deadly port explosionsThe World Food Programme plans to import wheat flour and grains for bakeries and mills to help protect against food shortages across Lebanon after a ... Middle East
Beirut explosion: Trump, Macron discuss sending immediate aid to Lebanese peopleUS President Donald Trump and his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, discussed sending immediate aid to Lebanon after the Beirut explosions killed ... Middle East