The trial of Sudan’s ousted ex-president Omar al-Bashir was delayed Monday at the request of his defense, a prosecution lawyer said.
The trial of al-Bashir over the military coup that brought him to power more than three decades ago, as well as of 27 other defendants, opened with a brief hearing in July.
The second hearing had been set for August 11.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
But defense lawyers requested a delay for three of the defendants – al-Bashir as well as two former senior leaders of the once powerful but now defunct National Congress Party.
“Lawyers for three defendants petitioned the Court of Appeal to release three defendants on bail, after the court refused to grant their request at the trial’s first hearing on July 21,” Moaz Hadra, one of the prosecution lawyers, told AFP.
“The Court of Appeal must rule, and then a new date for the trial will be set.”
Sudan ‘regrets’ tone of US travel advisory, says foreign ministry
Sudan appoints ambassador to US for first time in almost a quarter century
Al-Bashir, 76, and his co-accused could face the death penalty if convicted over the 1989 Islamist-backed overthrow of the democratically elected government of prime minister Sadek al-Mahdi.
It is the first time in the Arab world’s modern history that the architect of a coup is tried for plotting a putsch, although the man dubbed the true brain behind it, Hassan Turabi of the National Islamic Front, died in 2016.
Al-Bashir stayed in power for 30 years before being overthrown on April 11, 2019 after several months of unprecedented, youth-led street demonstrations.
The trial comes as Sudan’s joint civilian-military transitional government is introducing a host of reforms and has relaunched peace talks with opposition groups.
Sudan floods kill at least 10, destroy over 3,300 homes, say officialsAt least 10 people were killed and more than 3,300 homes ruined by flooding triggered by torrential rains across much of Sudan this week, the ... Middle East
Sudan welcomes Mike Pompeo comments on ending terror listingSudan’s government has welcomed remarks from US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo this week that he would like to delist Sudan as a state sponsor of ... Middle East
Sudan finds mass grave believed to have bodies of officers executed by Omar al-BashirSudan has found a mass grave that most likely contains remains of 28 army officers executed in 1990 for plotting an attempted coup against the former ... Middle East