A senior US official said Thursday that the level of destruction in Beirut resulting from the Aug. 4 explosions was the “worst I have ever seen.”
“As a human who has been to many disasters from [Sept. 11 attacks] to hurricanes, I have personally never seen destruction on this level,” United States Agency for International Development head John Barsa said after his visit to Lebanon.
Barsa, the acting USAID Administrator, told reporters in a phone briefing that the explosions were “entirely preventable and this is what frustrates me the most.”
“This is the worst in terms of extent,” he added.
The explosions have left 2,500 homes inhabitable and damaged more than a dozen hospitals and medical centers, according to Barsa. Officials have estimated that 300,000 were left homeless by the blast.
Asked by Al Arabiya English if there was a new US approach toward dealing with the people of Lebanon directly and not the government, which has been deemed corrupt by local residents, Barsa said USAID “generally speaking” works through NGOs and not with governments.
Beirut explosion: US State Department official to stress reform during Lebanon tripThe US State Department said its No. 3 diplomat will head to Lebanon on Thursday and stress the ‘urgent need’ for Lebanon to embrace fundamental ... Middle East
Lebanon’s sinking economy set to plunge further after Beirut port explosion: ReportLebanon’s sinking economy is set to plunge further into a record recession following the enormous explosion at the nation’s capital last week, a new ... Economy
Beirut explosion: Hollywood star helps restaurant in memory of Anthony BourdainHollywood star Russell Crowe said Thursday that he donated funds to help rebuild a blast-hit Beirut restaurant on behalf of late food icon Anthony ... Middle East
Coronavirus: 43 pct of schools don’t have handwashing resources, says UNThe United Nations estimates that 43 percent of schools around the world don’t have access to water and soap for basic handwashing.The new report ... Coronavirus