A senior US official called on Saturday for a “thorough, transparent and credible” investigation into this month’s Beirut port blast that killed at least 178 people and injured 6,000.
“We can never go back to an era in which anything goes at the port or the borders of Lebanon that had to contribute to this situation,” David Hale, US Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs, said.
The Aug. 4 blast, which the authorities say was caused by more than 2,000 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that had been unsafely stored at the port since 2013, damaged swathes of the city and left 300,000 homeless. Some 30 people remain missing.
“Every sovereign state controls its ports and its borders thoroughly and I imagine all Lebanese would like to return to that era,” Hale said after visiting the port.
He added that FBI agents would be arriving this weekend to help find out what exactly happened and “what led to the circumstances of this explosion”.
In a visit to Beirut on Friday, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said international efforts should help Lebanon rather than “impose anything on it”.
Iran backs the heavily armed Shia group Hezbollah, Lebanon’s most powerful group, which is listed as a terrorist organisation by the United States.
FBI involvement in Beirut blast investigation to bring more clarity: Ex-CIA officialThe Federal Bureau of Investigation’s participation in the probe into the deadly Beirut port blast will bring more clarity into how the disaster ... Middle East
Grieving Lebanese neighborhoods struggles to rebuild city after Beirut explosionClaudette Halabi cried out from beneath the rubble of her house for an hour before she died. The neighbors couldn’t save her.“We kept hearing the ... Features
Watch: Story behind ‘miracle’ baby George born amid Beirut’s blastStepping into the delivery room where his wife Emmanuelle was about to give birth, Edmond Khnaisser meant to capture their son's first moments on ... Features