Kuwait will rebuild the national wheat silos in the port of Beirut, in a gesture of solidarity and brotherhood with Lebanon and its people, according to Lebanon’s state news agency NNA.
This was announced on Saturday by the Abdel-Aal Al-Qenaei, Kuwaiti Ambassador to Lebanon, the agency reported
“We decided that the best and most appropriate way to start with the material aid is to rebuild the silos that provide the strategic reserve of wheat for brotherly Lebanon,” Qenaei said in an interview with 'Radio Lebanon.”
The envoy pointed out that “these silos were originally built in the year 1969 with a loan from the Kuwait Fund for Development, and that is why we decided to announce their rebuilding to continue providing strategic stocks of wheat for the Lebanese people.”
Beirut explosion: Cost of damage exceeds $15 billion says President Aoun
Responding to a question, Al-Qenaei said: “I believe that to rebuild what was destroyed in this disaster, whether the port or the affected areas, there will be an international conference through the United Nations, as announced, to assess the extent of damage and how countries can contribute by providing what they can to repair the damage, whether in the port or elsewhere.”
“Kuwait, on its own initiative, established an air bridge, and also participated in the conference called for by French President Emmanuel Macron,” he added.
“Kuwait has committed $41 million to help Lebanon, including $30 million in prior commitments and $11 million in relief, medical and food aid. Kuwait has never been late in supporting every international effort to extend a helping hand to brotherly Lebanon.”
The Ambassador said as part of the air bridge, the first plane arrived carrying medical, relief, hospital and food aid from Kuwait. “So far, 18 Kuwait planes have transported approximately 800 tons of aid, and God willing, the aid will continue as much as possible,” the Kuwaiti diplomat said.
“We wish the injured a speedy recovery and we say to you: Kuwait is always by your side,” he added.
Lebanon explosion: Nearly 40 pct of Beirut severely damaged, new assessment showsAround 40 percent of Beirut has been severely damaged due the August 4 port explosion, according to an impact assessment report by strategy consulting ... Middle East
Lebanon judge issues new arrest warrants over Beirut explosionA Lebanese judge leading investigations into Beirut’s port blast issued two new arrest warrants on Friday, a judicial source told AFP.“The ... Middle East
Hezbollah shipped explosive chemicals to Lebanon prior to Beirut blast: ReportIran’s elite Quds Force shipped ammonium nitrate to Hezbollah in Beirut around the same time a Moldovan-flagged tanker arrived carrying 2,750 tonnes ... Middle East
Lebanese lawyer takes President Aoun, PM Diab to court over Beirut blastA Lebanese lawyer filed a legal complaint on Wednesday against the country’s president and prime minister for allegedly not taking action to remove ... Middle East
Former fighters, farmers in Lebanon step in to help Beirut after explosionFrom former fighters repairing damaged buildings to rural women preparing meals, people from across Lebanon have stepped in to help businesses set up ... Features
Lebanon explosion: Customs chief Badri Daher formally arrested over Beirut blastThe head of Lebanon's customs authority was formally arrested on Monday after being questioned over the massive explosion in Beirut earlier this month ... Middle East
Beirut blast: Residents told to front repair costs by Lebanon’s landlordsSome Beirut residents, now with shattered homes, are being asked by their landlords to front the costs of repairs following the deadly explosion at ... Features
Beirut explosion death toll rises to 178 with 30 people still missing: UNThe death toll from last week’s massive explosion in Lebanon’s capital has risen to nearly 180, with an estimated 6,000 people injured and at least 30 ... Middle East