France “regrets” that Lebanon has been unable to form a new government after a mass resignation in the wake of a deadly explosion in Beirut’s port last month, President Emmanuel Macron’s office said on Wednesday.
“It’s not too late,” the French statement said, after the expiry of a mid-September dateline set by Macron, who has set himself up as a broker for finding common ground among Lebanon’s rival political factions.
The statement called on officials to help the premier-in-waiting Mustapha Adib “form a government that is up to dealing with the gravity of the situation.”
- Lebanon hits bottom of barrel credit rating as government formation flounders
- Jumblatt: French initiative is last chance to save Lebanon
- Lebanon's Cabinet formation hits snags as deadline looms
- Lebanon's Nabih Berri says his Hezbollah-allied Amal will not be part of next govt
- EU wants ‘credible’ Lebanon government before giving more blast aid
- In Lebanon, Beirut's port needs rebuilding, but no one has yet stepped up
- US supports France initiative for Lebanon, disagrees on Hezbollah: Official
- Timeline: Security incidents in Lebanon on the rise as economy worsens