Lebanese youth killed by Israeli fire on border after trying to cross security fence

Published: Updated:
Enable Read mode
100% Font Size

A 21-year-old Lebanese man, Mohammad Tahhan, died of his wounds on Friday as a result of Israeli fire after he and others in a group of youths had tried to cross a security fence on the border with Israel, Lebanon’s state news agency reported.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.


Hezbollah's media relations later issued statement mourning the death of Tahhan, who was a Hezbollah reserve fighter, adding that “the martyr fighter died during his participation in the demonstrations on the Lebanese-Palestinian borders in solidarity and support for the cause.”

Lebanon's President, General Michel Aoun, strongly condemned in a statement "the crime committed by the Israeli forces, by shooting a group of youths who demonstrated at the southern borders in protest against the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip this afternoon, which led to the death of the young man, Muhammad Tahan, and the wounding of another."

President Aoun asked the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates, Charbel Wehbe, to inform the United Nations of the Israeli attack and its consequences, in preparation for taking the necessary steps as a result.

3 civilians were wounded, while trying to reach the border again from another point opposite to Khiam Plain, amid the throwing of flare bombs by the Israeli army, Lebanese media reported.

The media office of the caretaker prime minister, Hassan Diab, issued a statement saying that the killing of Tahhan constitutes a flagrant violation of Resolution 1701.

“The Israeli enemy does not cease to confirm its brutality, and it committed a new crime against unarmed demonstrators in southern Lebanon, so the martyr Muhammad Tahan was killed by the bullets of the aggression and others were wounded,” the statement added.

The statement called on the international community to condemn the crimes of Israel in southern Lebanon and in Gaza.

UNIFIL spokesperson said the Head of Mission and Force Commander Major General Stefano Del Col is in direct contact with the parties.

“Our soldiers are on the ground to prevent violations. Together with the Lebanese Armed Forces, we strengthened security in the area, and UNIFIL immediately opened an investigation to determine the facts and circumstances. Any loss of life is tragic, and we urge everyone to remain calm and avoid escalating the situation and risking more lives,” the spokesperson added.

Read more:

Israeli army launches military operation on Gaza Strip

At least three rockets fired at Israel from south Lebanon

UN Security Council to hold first public meeting on Palestine-Israel violence

Top Content Trending