A loud explosion was heard overnight Monday in Lebanon’s northern district of Bcharre, with local media reporting that the incident occurred inside of a gas station.
Initial reports indicated that the explosion occurred at the station in Hadath al-Jebbe, but eyewitnesses in the area said that the accident was limited to a fire and no explosion.
Local sources also reported that the fire broke out due to an electrical short circuit, decimating a section of the gas station.
However, a security source told local media that the owners, belonging to the Shadrawi family, were preparing to open the gas station for the first time.
But a number of gallons of gasoline stored in the station exploded after the short circuit sparked a fire.
The same sources said that the owner of the station and his brother sustained burns.
According to the state-run National News Agency, the civil defense teams worked to put out the fire, while security forces have opened an investigation into the incident.