.
.
.
.
Lebanon crisis

Lebanon tribunal secures funding to hold Hariri case appeal

Published: Updated:

The Special Tribunal for Lebanon said on Monday it has secured enough funding to hear the appeal of its main case, centering on the 2005 assassination of Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, which will start Oct. 4.

Three months ago the United Nations-backed international tribunal, located near The Hague, had said it expected to run out of money and would be forced to close its doors.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“We have funding to proceed with appeals in the main case,” tribunal spokesperson Wajed Ramadan said Monday.

Last year judges convicted Salim Jamil Ayyash, a former member of the Shiite movement Hezbollah, in absentia for the bombing that killed veteran Sunni Muslim politician Hariri and 21 others. Prosecutors are seeking the conviction on appeal of two additional suspects who were acquitted, also in absentia.

Spokesperson Ramadan declined comment on the source of its recent funding.

The Lebanon tribunal was created by a 2007 UN Security Council resolution. Its 2020 budget was 55 million euros ($67 million). The court said in June the 2021 budget had been cut by nearly 40 percent but it still struggled to get contributions.

Until 2020 the tribunal had been funded 51 percent by voluntary contributions and 49 percent by the Lebanese government. Lebanon has been going though an economic meltdown this year.

On Monday a new Lebanese government met for the first time and vowed to revive talks with the IMF to unlock aid but warned there were no quick fixes to its economic crisis.

Read more:

Lebanon to receive $1.135 bln in SDRs from IMF

Lebanon’s new govt holds first meeting, Aoun stresses need for foreign financial aid

As Lebanon’s crises weigh heavy, people light candles in suicide prevention walk