.
.
.
.

Lebanon PM criticizes unofficial moves in Israel row after Hezbollah sent drones

Published: Updated:

Lebanon’s prime minister on Monday criticized as risky and unacceptable any unofficial dealings over its sea border row with Israel, after the Hezbollah movement sent three drones towards an Israeli gas rig that were shot down.

Hezbollah launched its operation on Saturday following long-standing but so far fruitless US-mediated efforts to agree on a maritime border between the two countries near an area where Israel has made large natural gas discoveries.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“Lebanon considers that any action outside the framework of the state’s responsibility and the diplomatic context in which the negotiations are happening is unacceptable and exposes [Lebanon] to unnecessary risks,” a statement by the office of Prime Minister designate Najib Mikati office said.

The statement was issued following a meeting between Mikati and Foreign Minister Abdallah Bou Habib.

The statement called for “everyone, without exception” to stand behind the Lebanese state in the negotiation process, which it said had reached “advanced stages.”

Hezbollah said on Saturday the drones, launched towards the Karish gas field in waters claimed by both countries, had successfully carried out a reconnaissance mission and said “the message was delivered.”

The Israeli military said it had intercepted the drones, the first time an Israeli naval ship had downed an incoming target.

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz said after the incident that Hezbollah was “preventing the state of Lebanon from reaching an agreement regarding maritime borders.”

Read more:

Israel’s Lapid condemns Hezbollah in first cabinet meeting as PM

Over 30 governments gather to discuss Hezbollah’s ‘ongoing global terrorist’ plots

Israel’s Bennett will not run in next general election: Spokesperson

Top Content Trending