.
.
.
.
Palestinian Israeli conflict

Two Palestinians killed in Israeli raid in West Bank: Army

Published: Updated:

Israeli security forces killed a Palestinian militant commander and another fighter in a gun battle in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the military said, triggering further clashes in which Palestinians said a 16-year-old youth was also killed.

Israeli forces surrounded the house of Ibrahim al-Nabulsi, a senior commander of the Fatah’s al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades militant group long on Israel’s wanted list.

Al-Nabulsi, barricaded inside, refused to surrender and was killed along with another militant during a gun battle with Israeli forces, who also used shoulder-fired missiles in the fighting, the military said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The shoot-out, in the northern West Bank city of Nablus, was the deadliest incident in the West Bank since Israel and the Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad ended three days of fighting in Gaza, the worst in more than a year.

Al-Nabulsi was a member of the recently formed “Nablus Brigade,” a Palestinian militant alliance in the city which also includes Islamic Jihad’s gunmen. Hours after the shoot-out, tens of thousands attended his funeral and called for revenge.

The gun battle was followed by clashes during which the military said its troops responded with live fire against Palestinians throwing rocks and explosives at soldiers.

Islamic Jihad said the 16-year-old was killed while participating in a confrontation with Israeli troops.

Palestinian health officials confirmed the three deaths and said 40 more people were injured in total. There were no reports of Israeli casualties.

The Israeli military said al-Nabulsi had been suspected of carrying out several shooting attacks against Israeli civilians and soldiers.

Israel has stepped up raids in recent months in the West Bank after men from the area carried out deadly street attacks in Israel. The Western-backed Palestinian Authority regularly condemns such incursions.

According to Palestinian officials, at least 44 Palestinians, at least half of them civilians, were killed during three days of Israeli strikes on Gaza, which ended with an August 7 truce between Israel and Islamic Jihad that has largely held.

The militants fired more than 1,000 rockets at southern Israel although there were no reported Israeli casualties as many were intercepted by Israeli defenses.

Read more:

UN security council meets over Gaza fighting

Palestinian Islamic Jihad leaders will pay the price: Israeli defense minister Gantz

Saudi Arabia condemns Israeli attack on Gaza Strip: Foreign ministry statement

Top Content Trending