Aid convoy reaches Syrian opposition-held areas in first such delivery since quake
An aid convoy reached opposition-held northwestern Syria Thursday, the first since a devastating earthquake that has killed thousands, an official at the Bab al-Hawa border crossing told AFP.
The 7.8-magnitude quake early Monday has killed more than 17,000 people in Turkey and war-ravaged Syria, according to officials and medics in the two countries, flattening entire neighborhoods.
“The first UN aid convoy entered today,” said Mazen Alloush, media officer at the crossing.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
An AFP correspondent saw six trucks passing through the crossing from Turkey, carrying tents and hygiene products.
Alloush noted the delivery had been expected before Monday’s quake, but said: “It could be considered an initial response from the United Nations, and it should be followed, as we were promised, with bigger convoys to help our people.”
The aid delivery mechanism from Turkey into opposition-held Syria through the Bab al-Hawa crossing is the only way UN assistance can reach civilians without passing through areas controlled by Syrian government forces.
While the crossing itself was not affected by the quake, the road leading to it was damaged, temporarily disrupting operations, a UN spokesman said on Tuesday.
UN special envoy Geir Pederson said Thursday that the emergency response in Syria should “not be politicized” following “one of the most catastrophic earthquakes the region has seen in about a century.”
He told reporters in Geneva that the UN had been “assured today that we would be able to get through the first assistance today.”
Planes carrying aid from the United Arab Emirates, Russia, Iran and other countries have landed since Monday in Syrian government-controlled airports in Damascus, Aleppo and Latakia.
Rescuers have been searching for survivors still trapped under rubble. The White Helmets rescue group, operating in opposition-held areas of Syria, have appealed for international help in their “race against time.”
The UN’s resident Syria coordinator El-Mostafa Benlamlih told AFP on Wednesday that no fresh deliveries of humanitarian aid have been sent to the rebel-held northwest from within Syria in about three weeks.
He said the UN has some stocks in the area - enough to feed 100,000 people for one week.
Speaking from Damascus, Benlamlih said the destruction in government-held provinces “is huge.”
“But we know also that the destruction in the northwest is huge and we need to get there to assess.”
Twitter access restored in Turkey after talks between company, Turkish authorities
How long can people survive in the rubble of an earthquake?
UAE rescue crew saves Syrian family trapped under earthquake rubble in Turkish home
Turkey’s Erdogan faces crescendo of criticism over quake response“If there is anyone responsible for this process, it is Erdogan. It is this ruling party that has not prepared the country for an earthquake for 20 years,” said Kemal Kilicdaroglu, leader of the main opposition party. Middle East
Charlie Hebdo lambasted for mocking Turkey, Syria earthquake in satirical cartoonCharlie Hebdo blasted for mocking victims of the Turkey-Syria earthquake in satirical cartoon World News
Turkish President Erdogan vows to re-build earthquake hit areas in one yearTurkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan promised to rebuild areas hit by two deadly earthquakes within a year as he toured one of the worst-stricken ... Middle East