South Sudan’s National Security Service has released the remaining journalists who had been detained for weeks over a video apparently showing the country’s president urinating on himself during an event.
At least seven journalists with the state broadcaster were detained in January following the circulation of the video of President Salva Kiir during the inauguration of a road project.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
In a statement on Friday, the Union of Journalists of South Sudan said the two remaining journalists had been freed. None of the journalists were charged.
The union “will continue to engage with all stakeholders in the country to ensure journalists work in a free and safe environment,” the journalists’ organization said.
The South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation footage aired in December and was widely shared online. It showed the 71-year-old Kiir standing during the national anthem and then looking down at what appeared to be a spreading stain, before the camera turned away.
One of the released journalists, Garang John, in a Facebook post said his health had been “totally compromised” by the 60 days of confinement.
“I am completely weak and tired but it shall be well,” he said.
Sudan releases 2 journalists held over viral president urine video
South Sudan President Salva Kiir fires defense and interior ministersSouth Sudan President Salva Kiir has sacked two top security ministers, violating the terms of a peace agreement with opposition party leader First ... Middle East
South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir dissolves parliamentSouth Sudan’s President Salva Kiir has dissolved parliament, opening the way for lawmakers from opposing sides of the country’s civil war to be ... Middle East
IMF, South Sudan reaches agreement for emergency funds of $112.7 mlnThe International Monetary Fund and South Sudan have reached a staff-level agreement for the release of about $112.7 million in emergency financing, ... World News
South Sudan pulls out of peace talks with rebel groupsSouth Sudan’s government has withdrawn from peace negotiations with rebel groups, accusing them of using the talks “to buy time as they prepare for ... Middle East