WHO says risk ‘moderate’ after fighters’ seizure of laboratory in Sudan’s Khartoum

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
1 min read

The World Health Organization said on Tuesday it had found after a risk assessment that there was a “moderate risk” related to the seizure of a public health laboratory in Sudan's capital Khartoum by one of the warring parties.

“The situation and the risk are being seen as moderate,” WHO spokesperson Tarik Jasarevic told reporters at a briefing in Geneva.

“This is because the lab cannot provide its main function, that is to provide the analysis and the diagnostics because of the lack of fuel and lack of trained staff.”

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

WHO’s representative in Sudan said last week there was a “high risk of biological hazard” in Sudan’s capital Khartoum after one of the warring parties seized the laboratory holding cholera pathogens and other hazardous materials.

Read more:

UK explores providing humanitarian support to Sudan after evacuations

Over 100,000 refugees fled Sudan to escape violence: UN

Sudanese fleeing north face arduous crossing into Egypt

Top Content Trending