Sudan’s defense ministry calls on retired soldiers, able citizens to arm themselves
Sudan’s Ministry of Defense has called on retired soldiers and able citizens to arm themselves at the nearest army bases for self-defense, according to a statement.
Fierce battles between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) erupted on April 15.
Last week, the warring parties agreed to a seven-day truce that began at 9:45 p.m. (1945 GMT) on Monday, aimed to allow for the delivery of aid.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
The ceasefire deal, reached in talks in Jeddah, has raised hopes of a pause in a war that has driven nearly 1.1 million people from their homes, including more than 250,000 who have fled to neighboring countries, threatening to destabilize a volatile region
The health ministry has said that at least 730 people have been killed, though the true figure is likely much higher.
Those who remain in Khartoum suffer from electricity and water outages, a breakdown in healthcare services and reduced communications. Many homes, particularly in well-off areas of the capital, have been raided and looted.
Earlier on Friday, Saudi Arabia and the United States said that Sudan's warring sides were complying better with a ceasefire despite reports of sporadic fighting from Khartoum residents and of clashes elsewhere in the country.
US, Saudi Arabia note improved respect for short-term ceasefire in Sudan: Statement
Burhan fought back with AK-47 when RSF forces stormed his residence, bodyguard says
Sudan’s conflict enters second month with no end in sight