Israeli army warns millions of Gazans to evacuate ahead of expected ground invasion

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

Israel’s military on Friday called for all civilians of Gaza City, more than 1 million people, to relocate south within 24 hours, as it amassed tanks near the Gaza Strip ahead of an expected ground invasion.

The Israeli military has announced it would continue to operate significantly in Gaza, warning its 2.3 million residents to evacuate to the south of the enclave as it launches a barrage of bombs on the city.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The army said the residents will only be allowed to return to their homes when Israel makes another announcement permitting them to do so.

Hamas on Friday rejected the Israeli evacuation order.

“Our Palestinian people reject the threat of the occupation (Israeli) leaders and its call for them to leave their homes and flee from them to the south or Egypt,” Hamas said in a statement.

The bombardment is the most intense Israel has ever directed at Gaza, which is only 40km (25 miles) long and home to about one million children living in cramped cities and refugee camps with few designated shelters and nowhere else to run.

A Palestinian boy stands on the rubble of a damaged house hit by Israeli strikes, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, October 11, 2023. (Reuters)
A Palestinian boy stands on the rubble of a damaged house hit by Israeli strikes, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, October 11, 2023. (Reuters)

Explosions from air strikes echo every few minutes - killing more than 1,500 people in Gaza so far including hundreds of children, local health authorities say.

“Now is a time for war,” Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said on Thursday as Israeli warplanes continued pounding Gaza, destroying entire neighborhoods and killing hundreds of civilians.

The Israeli military said it would operate “significantly” in Gaza City in the coming days and civilians would only be able to return when another announcement was made.

The United Nations said it considered it impossible for such a movement to take place “without devastating humanitarian consequences.”

“The United Nations strongly appeals for any such order, if confirmed, to be rescinded avoiding what could transform what is already a tragedy into a calamitous situation,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.

Read more:

Gaza rescue workers fear for their lives as Israeli air strikes continue

UN says Israeli military warns 1.1 mln Gazans to relocate south

Top Content Trending