Israel gears up for ground invasion of Gaza: Netanyahu

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

Israel is preparing a ground invasion of Gaza, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a televised statement on Wednesday, but he declined to provide any details on the timing or other information about the operation.

He said the decision on when forces would go into the blockaded Palestinian enclave would be taken by the government’s special war cabinet.

“Simultaneously, we are preparing for a ground invasion. I will not elaborate on when, how or how many. I will also not elaborate on the various calculations we are making, which the public is mostly unaware of and that is how things should be,” Netanyahu said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The Israeli official also advised civilians in the strip to move to the south, a warning which has been repeated in recent days.

However, Israel intensified its overnight bombing of southern Gaza, where officials said record numbers of Palestinians had been killed. Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians have fled to the south after Israel repeatedly warned them it would attack the north to wipe out Hamas after its killing spree in Israel on October 7.

The Palestinian death toll now exceeds 6,500, they said.

With Reuters

Read more:

France’s Macron: ‘Massive ground intervention’ in Gaza would be error for Israel

Al Jazeera says family of one of its journalists killed in Israeli strike on Gaza

Israel agrees to delay Gaza invasion so US can rush missile defenses to region: WSJ

Top Content Trending