Syria extends UN aid delivery via Turkish crossings for opposition-held areas

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

Syria has extended permission for the United Nations to deliver aid to opposition-held areas in the northwest of the country via two Turkish border crossings for another three months, the United Nations said on Monday.

After an earthquake killed more than 50,000 people in Turkey and Syria in February, Damascus initially allowed the UN to dispatch aid through the Turkish crossings for three months. That has now been extended for a third time until Feb. 13.

“The UN cross-border operation remains a lifeline to people in north-west Syria. Each month, the UN and partners reach an average of 2.5 million people with critical assistance and protection services,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said in a statement.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Syria’s mission to the United Nations in New York confirmed the extension of the UN use of the Bab al-Salam and Al Ra’ee crossings.

The United Nations had also been using the Bab al-Hawa crossing from Turkey to deliver aid to millions in northwest Syria since 2014 with authorization from the UN Security Council. But that expired in mid-July after the 15-member body could not reach an agreement to extend it.

Just days later the Syrian government said the UN could continue using the Bab al-Hawa crossing for another six months.

The United Nations said that so far this year more than 4,200 trucks carrying UN aid have used Bab Al-Hawa, Bab Al-Salam and Al Ra’ee border crossings.

Read more:

US forces in Syria targeted four times in less than 24 hours, military official

Turkey extends military operations in Syria and Iraq for two more years

UN warns fuel shortage to halt Gaza aid work in ‘48 hours’

Top Content Trending