Qatar’s foreign ministry said on Friday that negotiations were ongoing with Israelis and Palestinians to renew a truce that expired on Friday morning.
In a statement the ministry said that Israeli bombardment of Gaza, which resumed early on Friday, was complicating its mediation efforts.
It also urged swift international action to stop violence in the Gaza Strip.
For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
The ministry reiterated “its condemnation of all forms of targeting civilians, the practice of collective punishment, and attempts to forcibly displace and displace citizens of the besieged Gaza Strip, and its demand for an immediate ceasefire.”
Qatar has been engaged in intense negotiations, with support from Egypt and the United States, to repeatedly prolong a truce in Gaza that had lasted a total of seven days after two extensions.
The agreement was designed to be continued if Hamas could release 10 hostages per day.
But after the truce expired on Friday morning, the Israeli army said its combat operations had resumed.
Late Thursday, eight more Israeli hostages were freed under the terms of the deal.
During the truce 80 Israeli hostages were freed in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners.
Negotiations between Hamas and other nations under a separate framework led to the release of more than 20 other foreign nationals, mostly Thais.
Israel says around 240 hostages were seized when Hamas gunmen stormed across Gaza’s militarized border on October 7 and mounted the deadliest attack in the country’s history, killing about 1,200 people.
In response, Israel launched a relentless bombing campaign and ground offensive in Hamas-ruled Gaza, which the Hamas government says has killed more than 15,000 people, thousands of them children.
The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza said 32 people had been killed in the first hours after the pause in hostilities ended at 0500 GMT on Friday.