Israel said Saturday it was pulling its Mossad negotiators out of Qatar, which is mediating efforts to secure a renewed pause in the Israel-Hamas war, after a deadlock in the talks.
“Following the impasse in the negotiations and at the direction of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, David Barnea, head of the Mossad, ordered his team in Doha to return to Israel,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement.
Earlier on Saturday, Reuters reported that a team from Israel's Mossad intelligence services was in Doha for talks with Qatari mediators for another pause in fighting in Gaza.
Israel and Hamas have been considering new parameters for the release of hostages and the truce since before it collapsed.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.
The truce which began on November 24 saw Hamas release Israeli women and children taken hostage on October 7 in exchange for the release of Palestinians, including women, held in Israeli prisons.
Israel and Hamas have traded blame over the collapse of the truce, which lasted a week and was extended twice before mediators were unable to find a way for a third extension.
Israel accused Hamas of refusing to release all the women it held. A Palestinian official said the breakdown occurred over female Israeli soldiers.