The US State Department said on Monday that steps taken by the Israeli government to address extremist settler violence in the West Bank are not sufficient.
A State Department spokesperson told reporters the United States thinks the Israeli government should prosecute Israeli settlers who engage in violent activities against Palestinians.
Israeli settlers attacked two Palestinian villages in the occupied West Bank late on Saturday, killing one man and torching a car, Palestinian authorities said.
In another incident, Wajih al-Qat, head of the local council of the village of Madama near the northern West Bank city of Nablus, said a group of about 15 settlers burned the car and broke the windows of a house with stones.
The attacks are the latest in a series of similar incidents involving settlers that have drawn condemnation from world leaders including US President Joe Biden, whose administration is set to impose visa bans on extremist settlers.
Last week, France called on the European Union to consider sanctioning Israeli settlers who have targeted Palestinians in the West Bank as an option and that talks at the EU to impose sanctions on Hamas commanders were progressing.
The West Bank, among the territories where Palestinians seek statehood, has experienced a surge of violence in recent months amid expanding Israeli settlements and a nearly decade-old impasse in US-sponsored peacemaking.