Israel Palestine Conflict

Instagram bans famous anti-racism activist Shaun King over Palestine content

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
3 min read

Popular American writer and activist Shaun King said on Monday that Instagram banned his account for his pro-Palestine content.

The anti-racism activist, whose social media account amassed more than six million followers before it was deleted, said Meta removed his account because he was “fighting for Palestine, and speaking up for the human rights and dignity of Palestinians.”

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

In a video message shared on his friends’ accounts, King said: “Meta, Facebook, Instagram, they have decided to stand in the way of those of us that are fighting for the human rights and dignity of Palestinians. I won’t stand for it.”

“I refuse to betray my values and principles by staying silent about this genocide and the war crimes in Gaza and the West Bank. You can NEVER mince words about genocide. You can never mince words about war crimes,” he wrote in the caption.

Meta, the owner of Instagram and Facebook, formerly known as Facebook, owns and operates popular social media platforms including Instagram, Threads, and WhatsApp.

Meta has repeatedly come under fire for removing Pro-Palestinian content and accounts from its platforms.

In late October, the popular Instagram account @eye.on.palestine and its backup account @eye.on.palestine2 were deleted.

The accounts had been posting videos and images from inside Gaza and have been an integral platform for activists sharing updates on the escalating violence in the besieged city.

At the time, Meta said the accounts were removed after its staff detected a possible hacking attempt, and has since restroed the accounts.

Since October 7, King has shared hundreds of pro-Palestine posts, including videos, images, and infographics showing the extent of the destruction in Gaza and calling for an end to Israel’s ruthless war on the territory.

Meta has yet to make a statement on the matter.

Israel launched an air and ground invasion into the strip in retaliation for the Hamas attack on its borders on October 7, despite international pressure against the offensive.

The war has devastated large parts of Gaza, killed more than 20,600 Palestinians and displaced almost all of the territory’s 2.3 million people.

UN officials have warned that a quarter of the population is also starving under Israel’s siege of the territory, which allows in only a trickle of aid, both food and essential medical supplies.

Read more:

Meta slammed for removing Israel-Hamas war posts, urged to preserve evidence

Human Rights Watch slams Meta for ‘silencing’ pro-Palestinian voices

Pro-Palestine accounts removed due to ‘hacking’ amid Israel-Hamas war: Meta

Top Content Trending