More than 4,360 dead in Syria’s civil war in 2023: Monitor

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
3 min read

More than 4,360 people, including combatants and civilians, were killed in Syria’s civil war in 2023, in the thirteenth year since fighting began, a war monitor said on Sunday.

The figure was an increase on 2022, when 3,825 people were killed.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

That was the lowest annual death toll since the conflict began in 2011 with the government’s brutal crackdown on peaceful pro-democracy protests, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

This year’s count included 1,889 civilians, 241 of them women and 307 children, according to the United Kingdom-based Observatory, which has a network of sources inside Syria.

Syrian government forces accounted for almost 900 of the dead this year, with other fighters including from the Kurdish-led and US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, pro-Iran groups, extremist factions, ISIS terrorists and foreign combatants accounting for the rest.

Over the years, the country’s conflict spiraled dramatically. It pulled in foreign armies, militias, and extremists, killed more than 500,000 people, displaced millions and ravaged the country’s infrastructure and industry.

With Iranian and Russian support, Damascus has clawed back much of the territory it lost earlier in the conflict, although large parts of the country’s north remain outside government control.

Front lines have mostly quietened in recent years and annual death tolls dropped to lower levels.

Nevertheless, violence persists. The Observatory reported that several people including a fighter and a child were killed on Saturday in government bombardment of “residential areas and a market” in the city of Idlib.

Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a terrorist group led by al-Qaeda’s former Syria branch, controls swathes of Idlib province and parts of neighboring Aleppo, Hama and Latakia provinces -- the last major bastion of armed opposition in Syria.

A ceasefire brokered by Russia and Turkey was declared in Idlib after a Syrian government offensive in March 2020, but it has been repeatedly violated.

Also on Saturday, 25 pro-Iran fighters were killed in air strikes in eastern Syria "likely" carried out by Israel, the Observatory said, raising an earlier toll of 23.

The dead included five Syrians, six Iraqi fighters, four from Lebanon’s Hezbollah group and 10 other non-Syrian combatants, the Observatory said.

Israel, which has launched hundreds of strikes on Syrian territory since the war began, rarely comments on individual attacks but has repeatedly said it will not allow its arch foe Iran to expand its presence in the country.

Israel has intensified its strikes in Syria since its war with Hamas began on October 7.

Read more:

Israel targets Syria’s Aleppo with airstrike: Syrian defense ministry

Suspected Israeli airstrikes kill 19 pro-Iran fighters in Syria: Monitor

Iran says senior IRGC commander killed in Israeli strike in Syria, vows revenge

Top Content Trending