Iraqi armed faction Kata’ib Hezbollah denies saying it resumes attacks on US forces

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
3 min read

Iraqi armed faction Kata’ib Hezbollah has denied issuing a statement saying it had resumed attacks on US forces, a statement from the group issued on the Telegram messaging app said.

The denial came hours after a post circulated on groups thought to be affiliated with the Iran-backed armed faction that declared a resumption in the attacks some three months after they were suspended.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Kata’ib Hezbollah described that as “fabricated news.”

At least five rockets were launched from Iraq’s town of Zummar towards a US military base in northeastern Syria on Sunday, two Iraqi security sources and a US official told Reuters.

The attack against US forces is the first since early February when Iranian-backed groups in Iraq stopped their attacks against US troops.

It comes a day after Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani returned from a visit to the United States, where he met with President Joe Biden at the White House.

The post on a Telegram group affiliated with Kata’ib Hezbollah said armed factions in Iraq had decided to resume attacks after seeing little progress on talks to end the US-led military coalition in the country.

Another popular Telegram group close to Kata’ib Hezbollah, Sabreen News, later said there had been no official statement by the Iran-backed faction.

US official told Al Arabiya English that a coalition fighter destroyed a launcher in self-defense after reports of a failed rocket attack near the coalition base at Rumalyn, Syria. No US personnel were injured.

Two security sources and a senior army officer in Iraq said a small truck with a rocket launcher fixed on the back had been parked in Zummar, a town on the border with Syria.

An army officer said the destroyed truck was seized for further investigation and initial investigation showed it was destroyed by an air strike.

“We are communicating with the coalition forces in Iraq to share information on this attack,” the officer added.

The Iraqi Security Media Cell, an official body responsible for disseminating security information, said in a statement that Iraqi forces had launched “a wide-ranging search and inspection operation” targeting the perpetrators near the Syrian border, pledging to bring them to justice.

The attacks came after a huge blast at a military base in Iraq early on Saturday killed a member of an Iraqi security force that includes Iran-backed groups. The force commander said it was an attack while the army said it was investigating and there were no warplanes in the sky at the time

With Reuters

Read more:

Five rockets fired from Iraq’s Zummar towards US military base in Syria

Top Content Trending