Israeli military confirms death of solider held hostage in Gaza

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

The Israeli military on Monday confirmed the death of a soldier held hostage by Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip for nearly nine months since Hamas’ October 7 attack.

In a separate statement, the Hostages and Missing Families Forum said that Mohammad Alatrash was killed during the October attack on southern Israel and his body taken captive by Hamas militants.

For the latest updates on the Israel-Palestine conflict, visit our dedicated page.

Israeli authorities had previously confirmed Alatrash, a sergeant major in the Israeli military’s Bedouin Trackers Unit, was taken hostage on October 7.

Alatrash, 39, is survived by two wives and 13 children, the forum said in a statement.

“The Families Forum will continue to support and stand by the family during this difficult time and until his remains are returned to Israel,” it said.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

Alatrash’s death raises the toll from Hamas’ attack to 1,195, most of them civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.

Palestinian militants also took 251 people hostage in the attack, 116 of whom remain captive in the Gaza Strip, according to Israel. Of those, the military says 42 are dead, including at least nine soldiers.

Israel’s retaliatory invasion and bombardment of the Gaza Strip has resulted in the deaths of at least 37,626 people, also mostly civilians, according to the health ministry in Gaza.

Read more:

Israel strikes kill at least 11 in Gaza, tanks push further into Rafah

Israel’s Netanyahu says committed to truce proposal, army cites advances in Rafah

Blinken to urge Israel’s Gallant on Gaza governance plan, conflict de-escalation

Top Content Trending