Europeans fear Middle East war on brink of expanding

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

European foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on Monday that the Middle East was close to seeing the conflict expanding into Lebanon just days after Iran-backed Hezbollah threatened EU member Cyprus.

“The risk of this war effecting the south of Lebanon and spilling over is every day bigger,” Borrell told reporters ahead of a foreign ministers meeting in Luxembourg.

For the latest updates on the Israel-Palestine conflict, visit our dedicated page.

“We are on the eve of the war expanding.”

Iran-backed Hezbollah began attacking Israel shortly after Hamas' Oct. 7 assault sparked the war in Gaza.

Hezbollah has said it would not stop until there is a ceasefire in Gaza.

Earlier in June, Hezbollah targeted Israeli towns and military sites with the largest volleys of rockets and drones in the hostilities so far, after an Israeli strike killed the most senior Hezbollah commander yet.

Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah last week said that nowhere in Israel would be safe if a full-fledged war breaks out between the two foes, and also threatened EU member Cyprus for the first time and other parts of the Mediterranean.

“It is absolutely unacceptable to make threats against a sovereign state of the European Union,” Greek Foreign Minister George Gerapetritis said. “We stand by Cyprus and we will all be together in all kinds of global threats coming from terrorist organizations.”

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said the situation between Israel and Hezbollah was very worrying and she would travel to Lebanon soon.

“A further escalation would be a catastrophe for people in the region,” she said.

Read more:

European ambassadors not leaving Lebanon, minister confirms amid rumors

Hezbollah’s Cyprus threat ‘absolutely unacceptable,’ Greece says

Lebanon’s transport minister denies Hezbollah weapon storage at Beirut airport

Top Content Trending