Tunisia busts ISIS recruitment cells, arrests 11 suspected recruits
Tunisia has been on high alert against possible attacks since Islamist gunmen killed 21 tourists in March
The Tunisian police has broken up three “cells” that were recruiting fighters for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and arrested 11 people suspected of trying to join ISIS in Libya, the Tunisian Ministry of Interior said.
Tunisia has been on high alert against possible attacks since Islamist gunmen killed 21 tourists in March at the popular Bardo Museum in Tunis. In June, a man shot dead 38 foreigners at a beach hotel in the southern city of Sousse.
ISIS claimed responsibility for both attacks. Officials said all three attackers were trained in jihadist camps over the border in Libya, where political chaos has allowed Islamist militants to grow in strength.
“The National Guard counterterrorism unit dismantled three cells which sent young people to Libya,” the Interior Ministry said in statement late on Monday.
Last week, Tunisia seized two car bombs and weapons on the border with Libya. In July, the government began building a wall along the border to stop Islamist militants slipping across.
The government says that more than 3,000 Tunisians have left to fight for ISIS in Syria, Iraq and Libya. Some of them have threatened to return home and carry out attacks on Tunisian soil.
- Tunisia warns of car bomb plot in Tunis, imposes traffic bans
- Homegrown militants with Libya ties target Tunisia’s democracy
- ‘I am so shocked:’ Father of Tunisian gunman ashamed of son
- Tunis sacks four policemen over Ramadan ‘abuse’
- Libya Dawn militia frees detained Tunisians
- Tunisian soldier shot dead after killing comrades
- Tunisia says Moroccan held in Italy supplied weapons for museum attackers
- Hundreds flocked to Tunisia for Jewish pilgrimage festival
- Security tightened as Tunisia hosts Jewish pilgrimage