Boko Haram says 7 dead in attack on Niger military barracks
Boko Haram claims to have killed “seven apostates” in an attack on a military barracks in southeast Niger.
A group that tracks online extremist activity says Boko Haram claims to have killed “seven apostates” in an attack on a military barracks in southeast Niger.
SITE Intelligence Group said the Nigeria-based group took credit for the attack in the town of Ghafam in the Diffa region in a statement Friday. The statement said Boko Haram fighters also took “weapons and various ammunition.”
More than 20 soldiers were killed earlier this month during clashes with Boko Haram in southeast Niger, and the UN refugee agency said last week that more than 50,000 people had been forced to flee as a result of the recent fighting.
Boko Haram’s nearly seven-year-old insurgency has killed some 20,000 people and forced 2 million from their homes.
50,000 flee Boko Haram attacks in Niger: UNTens of thousands of people have fled southeastern Niger following deadly attacks by Boko Haram insurgents on the town of Bosso in recent days North Africa
Boko Haram attack in southeastern Niger kills 32 soldiersSeven others from Niger and eight from Nigeria were injured in the attack North Africa
Boko Haram ‘sending fighters to ISIS in Libya’Western governments worry that ISIS’s growing presence in north Africa and ties with Boko Haram could herald a push south North Africa
Boko Haram ‘still a threat’ despite counter-insurgency gains: HollandeHollande was speaking after talks with his Nigerian counterpart Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential villa in the Nigerian capital North Africa