At least 30 migrants are believed to be missing after their boat sank off the western Libyan city of Sabratha this week, a coastguard spokesperson said on Thursday.
According to a survivor, the boat was carrying almost 50 migrants, coastguard spokesperson Ayoub Qassem said. The body of one child was recovered, and 16 migrants were rescued, he added.
Previously, officials had said that at least 10 migrants were thought to have died in the incident.
Libya’s western coast is one of the main departure point for migrants trying to reach Europe, though numbers have dropped since an Italian-led effort to disrupt smuggling networks and support Libya’s coast guard.
UN to hold conference in Libya in April to discuss conflict solutionThe United Nations will hold a conference in the Libyan town of Ghadames between April 14 and 16 to discuss solutions to the country’s conflict, ... North Africa
Some 50 migrants wounded by clash inside detention center in LibyaAt least 50 migrants were reportedly injured after they staged a protest that was suppressed inside a detention center in the capital Tripoli, the ... North Africa
Libya’s NOC chairman in UAE to discuss Sharara oilfield crisisLibya’s state-run National Oil Corp said on Monday its Chairman Mustafa Sanalla had arrived in the UAE to meet with a number of Libyan and ... Economy