Moroccan local authorities say they have recovered five more bodies after a rubber boat carrying Moroccan migrants capsized off the country’s Atlantic coast, raising the death toll to 12.
The bodies of six men and a woman had already been found on Saturday off Ain Harouda, just northeast of Casablanca, after their boat sank.
An investigation has been opened to determine the cause of the accident and search operations continue.
According to State-run agency MAP, some of the bodies were identified by relatives.
With the sea route from Libya to Italy increasingly being blocked by the Libyan coast guard as part of a deal with the European Union, Morocco has become a major departure point for African migrants trying to reach Europe.
African refugees held in Libya to be evacuated to Rwanda: UNAfrican refugees being held in squalid conditions in detention in Libya will be evacuated to Rwanda under an agreement reached with Kigali and the ... North Africa
Libya’s coast guard intercepts 108 Europe-bound migrantsLibya’s coast guard says it has intercepted 108 Europe-bound migrants off the country’s Mediterranean coast.Spokesman Ayoub Gassim says ... North Africa
Greece wants to return 10,000 migrants to Turkey by 2020The Greek government said Monday it wants to send 10,000 migrants back to Turkey by the end of 2020, following an emergency cabinet meeting.Athens ... World News
Scores of migrants flee after being rescued off Libyan coastAt least 71 illegal migrants, who were rescued after four days in distress at sea, were brought to shore east of the Libyan capital Tripoli early on ... North Africa