German Chancellor Angela Merkel welcomed assurances on Thursday from Libyan General Khalifa Haftar that he would stick to a cease-fire as world powers prepare to gather in Berlin for a summit on the North African nation’s future.
Merkel’s foreign minister, Heiko Maas, visited Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi on Thursday to press Haftar to attend the conference in the German capital on Sunday. After their meeting, Maas tweeted that Haftar had agreed in principle to accept the invitation and “contribute to making it a success” while pledging to respect the cease-fire.
“It’s good news that he is prepared to abide by the cease-fire,” Merkel told reporters in Berlin. She said one of the goals of the summit would be to make sure that a UN-backed arms embargo on the country is also respected.
Meanwhile a source with knowledge of the issue said on Thursday, Haftar has flown to Athens for talks ahead of the peace conference in Berlin.
“Haftar is coming to Athens,” the source told AFP as Greek media reported he would be meeting with the Greek prime minister and foreign minister on Friday.
The meeting in Berlin, to which the United States, Russia, France, Egypt and others have also been invited, aims to bring together many of the countries that have interests in Libya’s ongoing civil war.
Since the 2011 ouster and killing of Libya’s longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi, the country has sunk further into chaos and turmoil. The country is divided into rival administrations, the Tripoli-based one in the west and the one based in the country’s east, who forces are led by General Haftar.
The eastern forces have been on the offensive since April, laying siege on Tripoli in an effort to capture the capital and battling militias aligned with the UN-recognized government based there. Haftar claims his march on the capital aims to liberate Tripoli from a weak government that had allied itself with “terrorist” militias.
Maas’s trip to Benghazi, Haftar’s stronghold, came two days after Libya’s rival leaders left Moscow without reaching an agreement. Russia and Turkey proposed a cease-fire last week.
Libyan Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj, the head of the UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA), and Hafter went to Moscow on Monday for talks with Russian and Turkish diplomats and military officials.
Sarraj and Hafter, who did not meet directly, considered a draft document spelling out details of a truce proposed jointly by Russia and Turkey. Sarraj signed the draft before departing, while Hafter requested more time to consider it and then left Moscow without signing.
Maas spoke to Sarraj last week and said before his trip that he would be meeting Haftar on behalf of the European Union’s foreign ministers.
“Our message is clear: no one can win this conflict militarily,” Maas said before leaving Berlin. “A window is now opening to free the conflict from international influence and so open the way to a political process and inter-Libyan negotiations on a post-war order” under UN supervision.
“I hope that the parties will take this opportunity to put the future of Libya back in Libyan hands,” Maas added. “This now requires readiness for a real cease-fire and both parties’ participation in the dialogue formats proposed by the United Nations.”
The Tripoli government wants the eastern forces to withdraw from areas they seized since April, a demand Haftar is not expected to comply with.
Britain announced on Thursday that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will attend the Berlin talks.
“The conflict in Libya has escalated in recent months and threatens to destabilize the wider region,” said Johnson’s spokesman, James Slack. “This meeting is an opportunity for the UK to come together with international partners and countries in the region to support efforts towards a cease-fire and encourage a return to United Nations-led talks.”
Erdogan says Turkey starting troop deployment to LibyaTurkey is beginning to send troops into Libya in support of the UN-recognized government in Tripoli, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday, days ... Middle East
Erdogan, Trump discuss Libya developments in phone callTurkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US President Donald Trump discussed developments in Libya in a phone call on Wednesday, the White House and ... North Africa
Turkey deploying 2,000 Syrian fighters to Libya: The GuardianTurkey has already sent 650 Syrian rebel fighters to Libya, the Guardian newspaper reported citing Syrian sources all three countries, while another 1 ... North Africa
Germany sets out broad aims for Berlin Libya conferenceBerlin hopes to get all international players to use their influence to push for progress on Libya peace talks, a German Foreign Ministry spokesman ... North Africa