Libya’s eastern-based forces will ceasefire for Ramadan, Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman Ahmed Mismari confirmed on Wednesday, adding that the temporary truce came at the request of the international community and “friendly countries.”
Both the LNA and the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) have already said twice this year that they would stop fighting, but there was a sharp escalation in warfare last month.
Libya has been split since 2014 between the GNA in Tripoli and some other areas of the northwest, and a parallel administration based in Benghazi in the east.
LNA commander Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive a year ago to capture Tripoli, but pro-GNA forces have this month taken back several areas with Turkish military support, particularly through drones that have targeted eastern supply lines.
There was no immediate GNA response to the LNA’s declaration of a ceasefire, but Mismari said the eastern-based forces would reserve the right to respond to attacks. Ramadan, Islam’s holy fasting month, began last week.
It comes at a moment of political uncertainty in the eastern camp, with Haftar declaring on Monday that the army would take power and ripping up a 2015 political agreement that has been the basis for all international peacemaking efforts.
Libyan National Army’s Haftar claims ‘mandate from the people’The leader of the Libyan National Army (LNA), Khalifa Haftar, said Monday he had “a popular mandate” to govern the country, declaring a key 2015 ... North Africa
Syria to exchange consular missions with Libya’s Haftar government in BenghaziThe Syrian government and parallel Libyan authorities opposed to UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA), agreed on Sunday to exchange ... Middle East