Tunisian authorities have authorized an investigation into whether a group called the Mahdi Organization exists and carried out the Nice attack, based on social media claims of responsibility, state news agency TAP reported on Friday.
The public prosecutor’s office of the judiciary’s anti-terrorism court has delegated a specialized security unit to carry out the investigation, TAP reported.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
It will seek to learn whether the Mahdi organization exists and the veracity of claims made on social media that it was behind Thursday’s attack in the French city, it reported.
Read more: Nice attack link to Tunisia points to its continued struggle with ‘jihadists’
The suspect in the attack, in which an assailant shouting “Allahu Akbar” (God is Greatest) beheaded a woman and killed two other people in a church, is Brahim Aouissaoui, a 21-year old Tunisian who had recently emigrated to Europe.
Nice attacker is Tunisian, entered France from Italy, had Quran copy on him: OfficialFrance’s anti-terrorism prosecutor says the man who killed three in a Nice church was a Tunisian aged about 20 who entered France from Italy, and was ... World News
French investigators identify Nice attacker as a 21-year-old Tunisian migrantThe man suspected of killing three people at a church in the southern French city of Nice on Thursday is a 21-year-old Tunisian who arrived in Europe ... Middle East
Nice attack link to Tunisia points to its continued struggle with ‘jihadists’Though French police believe the attacker who killed three people in Nice on Thursday is a Tunisian, the North African democracy has made big strides ... North Africa
Instagram removes Khamenei’s French account after Nice attackInstagram temporarily removed and later restored the French account of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on the social media platform on ... Middle East
Former Malaysian leader Mahathir says remarks on French attacks taken out of contextFormer Malaysian leader Mahathir Mohamad said on Friday he is disgusted because his comments on attacks by Muslim ‘extremists’ in France had been ... World News
French police arrest 47-year-old man in connection to Nice knife attacker: ReportA 47-year old man has been placed in custody suspected of having been in contact with the perpetrator of Thursday’s deadly knife attack in Nice, BFM ... World News
French interior minister: More attacks likely due to ‘war against Islamist ideology’More attacks on French soil are likely as France is engaged in a “war against Islamist ideology”, its interior minister said on Friday.A ... World News