US military destroys two missile launchers in Houthi-held area of Yemen

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

The US military said on Tuesday that its forces had destroyed two anti-ship cruise missile launchers in a Houthi-controlled area of Yemen.

US Central Command said on the social media site X that the missile launchers “presented an imminent threat to US and coalition forces and to merchant vessels transiting the region.”

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The report comes one day after the Houthis said they had arrested a “spy network” operating under the cover of humanitarian organizations.

The Iran-backed group claimed the network was linked to the CIA and had been carrying out “espionage” activities in Yemen for years, initially through the United States embassy before it suspended operations in Sanaa in 2015.

The Houthis control the most populous parts of Yemen and have attacked merchant ships since November in solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza. The militants have sunk one ship, seized a different vessel and killed three crew members in a yet another attack.

Their campaign has disrupted global shipping by forcing vessels to avoid the nearby Suez Canal and reroute trade around Africa. The action also has stoked fears that the Israel-Hamas war could spread and destabilize the wider Middle East.

The United States and Britain have carried out strikes against Houthi targets in response to the attacks.

With agencies

Read more:

Yemen’s Houthis say they arrested an ‘American-Israeli spy network’

US military confirms Houthi missiles hit two commercial vessels in Gulf of Aden

Death toll from migrant shipwreck off Yemen rises to 49: UN agency

Top Content Trending