An indictment has been brought against one of the 166 Guantanamo Ban prisoners, the Pentagon announced on Monday.
War crime charges carrying a life sentence were brought against an Iraqi accused of "perfidy" for having allegedly worked with late Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden to attack US and coalition forces as well as civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq, AFP news agency reported.
If convicted by a military commission tribunal, Abd al-Hadi al-Iraqi faces life in prison.
In a statement issued when he was first brought to Guantanamo in April 2007, the Pentagon said Iraqi had "worked directly with the Taliban to determine responsibility and lines of communication between Taliban and Al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan, specifically with regard to the targeting of US forces."
At Guantanamo, Iraqi was transferred to Camp 7, reserved for "high value" detainees, including the five accused in the September 11, 2001 attacks, AFP reported.
So far, seven detainees have been convicted by a court martial since the prison opened in January 2002. The prison has held as many as 779 men at the same time.
A Guantanamo prison spokesman said that 104 inmates have been on a hunger strike for more than four months, including 41 who are being force-fed. Of the total, 86 have not been tried or charged.