Ex-Guantanamo detainee had 'role in Benghazi attack'
Militiamen led by Abu Sufian bin Qumu took part in the attack that killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens
U.S. officials have implicated a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner in the 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.
Militiamen led by Abu Sufian bin Qumu, chief of extremist group Ansar al-Sharia in Derna city, took part in the attack that killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, according to the daily.
It said U.S. officials plan to designate three branches of the group as a foreign terrorism organization in Derna, Benghazi and Libya's neighbor to the west Tunisia in the coming days.
Qumu and two others -- militia leaders Ahmed Abu Khattala and Seif Allah bin Hassine -- will also be identified as "specially designated global terrorists," the Post said, citing U.S. officials familiar with the plans.
The move aims to pressure the group and curtail support for terror activities, as it allows U.S. authorities to freeze the group's and the men's financial assets and bars U.S. citizens and companies from doing business with them.
Witnesses told U.S. officials that Qumu's men had made the hours-long drive to Benghazi from Derna before the Sept. 11, 2012 attack, the Post said, though it is unclear whether they were there as part of a pre-planned attack.
U.S. officials had sought to get a hold of Khattala in Benghazi, but dropped the plans out of fear that such a move by Americans could foment unrest and destabilize the Libyan government, the Post said.
Khattala has denied any role in the Benghazi raid.
According to the report, U.S. officials are also trying to determine whether any of the people involved in the Benghazi assault were involved in the killing of American schoolteacher Ronnie Smith, who was gunned down while jogging in the restive city last month.
- Benghazi attack ‘not linked to al-Qaeda’
- U.S. diplomat disputes initial account of Benghazi attack
- Al-Qaeda not behind Benghazi attack US report
- I take responsibility for Benghazi attack says Clinton
- Tunisian suspect in Benghazi attack refuses to speak to FBI
- Tunisian suspect in Benghazi US consulate attack held
- Egypt nabs terror suspect linked to Benghazi attack