Death certificates of MH370 passengers to be issued
Despite the news, some vocal relatives have repeatedly said they were unconvinced by Malaysia's conclusions on the data analysis
Relatives of flight MH370 passengers have denounced the Malaysian government's suggestion that it would soon look into issuing death certificates for those on board despite no proof yet of what happened to the plane.
The statement, issued in response to a weekend briefing that Malaysian officials gave to families in Kuala Lumpur, also called for a review of satellite data that Malaysia says indicates the plane likely crashed somewhere in the Indian Ocean.
"We, the families of MH370, believe that until they have conclusive proof that the plane crashed with no survivors, they have no right to attempt to settle this case with the issuance of death certificates and final payoffs," said the statement by the "United Families of MH370".
In Sunday's briefing, a Malaysian official said the government would look into a timetable for issuing death certificates for passengers on the Malaysia Airlines flight, which are required for families to seek insurance payments, settle debts and address a range of other issues.
Deputy Foreign Minister Hamzah Zainudin also asked relatives in the meeting to submit a proposal for government financial assistance for families as the MH370 search wears on.
But relatives, who have repeatedly accused the government and national airline of botching a response to the plane's disappearance and withholding information, said Malaysian authorities were playing an agonizing "cat and mouse game" over the fate of their loved ones.
"WE ARE IN UTTER OUTRAGE, DESPAIR AND SHOCK!" the statement said, using bold caps.
Malaysian officials could not immediately be reached to comment. The government and airline deny they are hiding anything.
The Boeing 777 went missing March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people aboard.
Malaysia says satellite data indicates the plane crashed in the remote Indian Ocean but no proof has been found despite an intensive multi-nation sea search.
Demanding hard evidence, some vocal relatives have repeatedly said they were unconvinced by Malaysia's conclusions on the data analysis, performed by British satellite communications firm Inmarsat.
"They have failed to share why they would accept a single source (Inmarsat) for analysis utilizing a never before attempted method, as their sole grounds for determining that the plane is under the water and all lives lost," the families said.
The statement said they requested an independent peer review, but the suggestion was rejected on grounds Inmarsat's data was under privacy protections.
In the Sunday meeting, "not a single one of our questions was answered," it added.
A public opinion poll published last week found that more than half of Malaysians believe their scandal-prone government -- which has controlled the country for 57 years -- is hiding the full truth on MH370.
- Hopes high as MH370 search zeros in on ‘pings’
- Australia ‘confident’ signals are from MH370
- Australia warns of lengthy search for MH370
- MH370 hunt: oil slick detected in Indian Ocean
- Mini-sub aborts again in MH370 hunt
- Australia sees new search phase if mini-sub fails to find MH370
- MH370 search at ‘critical juncture,’ says Malaysian minister
- Underwater hunt starts for Flight 370’s black box
- China ship detects ‘signal’ during Malaysia jet hunt